Want to be registered as a Domestic Builder?

There are three Domestic Building classes in Victoria which you can apply to register:

  • Domestic Builder (Limited)
  • Domestic Builder (Unlimited)
  • Domestic Builder (Manager)

The skills, knowledge and experience that you will need to demonstrate to the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) if you are applying for registration is your experience in preparing, carrying out, managing and/or arranging domestic building work.

But what experience is necessary to become a Domestic Builder?

  • Establish the requirement and apply for a building permit, and once obtained being able to comply with the building permit
  • Produce cost estimates and quotations for building work
  • Identify the need for, and if required establish a major domestic building contract
  • Undertake planning and preparation for construction
  • Arrange for sub-contractors and construction workers to carry out works safely and competently, and also to engage relevant tradespeople to undertake regulated work such as plumbing or electrical work
  • Ensure that site safety inductions are undertaken by all persons entering the construction site, and to also ensure that site safety requirements are complied with at all times. In addition to this, ensuring that site safety plans are developed, communicated with others, monitored and maintained throughout the construction process
  • Supervise the carrying out of construction work and ensuring compliance with the National Construction Code, Australian Standards and other local authority requirements
  • Ensure that any faults in construction work are rectified
  • Arrange protection works if required
  • Maintain communication with clients, architects, designers, building surveyors and sub-contractors during the construction process
  • Interpret plans, drawings and specifications related to the work. In addition, being able to set-out and prepare the site according to these plans and specifications


So if you want to take the next step and develop your skills further in these areas, undertaking the CPC40110 – Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) will do just that. Contact us and speak to one of our Career Counsellors now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *