The revival of men’s grooming and interest in the culture of Barbering has created the opportunity for more skilled Barbers than ever before! This course will assist you in developing skills in barbering foundations, essential cutting techniques, grooming and retail services.
You will undertake work independently, with limited guidance from others, to perform routine and non-routine activities and solve non-routine problems. You will apply and adapt technical skills and knowledge and use judgment in the provision of barbering services.
This qualification is for those who wish to start a career in the barbering industry and work in a barbershop or start their own barbering business. This course has been designed for those who have minimal or no skills in a barbering industry that enjoy face to face interactive learning, with a high content of practical application to skills acquisition.
The course welcomes people with disabilities and culturally diverse backgrounds who want to pursue a career in the barbering industry.
Typically, 12 months including school holidays preriods, and may vary on individual applicants’ circumstances.
The duration may be reduced for individual Learner if credit towards the qualification is given in the form of recognition of prior learning, credit transfer or where the learner has some industry experience where skill gap training may be a more appropriate training program for that learner.
This information is collected and analysed during information and enrolment session.
Units of Competency
This program is delivered in a blended combination of classroom-based, CiRT and self-directed learning.
The training will be delivered via training stages based on industry consultation.
These stages provide context to the delivery, a greater comprehension and relevance in the relationship between one unit and the other for you to gain a complex and greater understanding of the underpinning knowledge required for each of the units.
Entry into this qualification must always commence with Stage 1.
Stages 2 must be the next stage which is open while stage 1 remains open.
Stage 3 to the final stage have the flexibility to be sequenced in any order of delivery, but the units selected in each stage must remain in each stage.
Please check out our delivery plan in the documents section of this course page.
To achieve SHB30516 Certificate III in Barbering qualification, the candidate must demonstrate competency:
26 units of competency:
- 21 Core units
- 5 Elective units
|Unit Code||Unit Name|
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tool, equipment and work areas|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|SHBHTRI001||Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions|
|SHBHDES001||Dry hair to shape|
|SHBHCUT001||Design haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT002||Create on length or solid haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT003||Create graduated haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT004||Create a layered haircut structure|
|SHBHCUT007||Create combined traditional and classic men’s haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT013||Provide men’s general grooming services|
|SHBHCUT005||Cut hair using over-comb techniques|
|SHBHCUT009||Cut using freehand clipper techniques|
|SHBHCUT011||Design and maintain beards and moustaches|
|SHBHCUT012||Shave heads and faces|
|SHBHIND003||Develop and expand a client base|
The electives selected for the qualification are the following
|Unit Code||Unit Name|
|SHBHCUT006||Create combined haircut structures|
|SHBXCCS004||Recommend products and services|
|SHBHCUT010||Create haircuts using tracks and carving|
|SHBXPSM003||Promote a personal services business|
|SIRRINV001||Receive and handle retail stock|
For SHB30516 – Certificate III in Barbering the following pre-requisites apply
SHBHCUT001 – Design hair cut structure is a pre-requisite for the following units
- SHBHCUT002 – Create on length or solid haircut structures
- SHBHCUT003 – Create graduated haircut structures
- SHBHCUT004 – Create a layered haircut structure
- SHBHCUT005 – Cut hair using over-comb techniques
- SHBHCUT009 – Cut using freehand clipper techniques
SHBHCUT006 Create combined haircut structures
- SHBHCUT002 Create one length or solid haircut structures
- SHBHCUT003 Create graduated haircut structures
- SHBHCUT004 Create layered haircut structures
There are no pre-requisites of study requirements for entry into this qualification.
- New entrants are invited to apply.
- People with some experience are invited to apply.
- People with disabilities are invited to apply.
Minimum technology requirements
- Have access to a device which meets the minimum requirements in Avante Education’s Student BYOD Policy section 6.02
- Google account or gmail
Prospective learners will be required to go through a formal face to face and/ or CiRT Interview with one of our Learning Pathway Advisors to establish whether the desired course is the correct qualification for their career path/job prospects.
Applicants who have completed an Australian Year 12 qualification are not required to complete a LLN Assessment.
As part of the Pre-training interview process with a prospective learner, a digital literacy evaluation will be conducted (PC Skills) to ensure that they will be successfully able to complete a course with an online component.
This includes but not limited to:
- The ability to logon to a computer
- Access emails and click a link within an email.
- Login into an online database (LLN Tool)
- Use a mouse and keyboard.
- Read and respond to online text.
Candidates who meet the minimum requirements for LLN evaluation would be considered to meet PC Literacy requirements
Candidates who do not meet the minimum requirements for LLN evaluation will be evaluated individually.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy
Online Service Standards
Click here for the details of our Online Service Standards
Avante Education have selected the following forms of Assessment Methods
- Written questions
- Formative practical observation
- Summative practical observation
The assessment process will include the gathering of evidence to demonstrate the learner’s competency as demonstrated in the workplace and underpinning knowledge in theory-based assessments.
Trainers will be provided with detailed instructions to assessment requirements for each unit. (The specific methods for each Unit of Competency are identified within this document under ‘Evidence Gathering Techniques’; further detail is available in the Assessor Assessment Guide).
This is a competency-based program, assessment occurs throughout the entire program until the learner either achieves competency in the assessment tasks or any further training needs are identified and addressed.
Accreditation & Award
Upon successful completion of all units which meet the packaging rules in this course of study, learners will be awarded the qualificationSHB30516 Certificate III in Barbering
The issuance of this qualification is subject to:
- All fees and charges paid in accordance with Avante Education Fees, Charges, Refund Policy
- USI Number disclosure and verification
- VSN Number disclosure and verification (if applicable)
Avante Education has a policy to acknowledge formal Statements of Attainments issued by another RTO.
Where learners have made an application for Credit Transfer on any of the equivalent units in this qualification, credit will be granted, and the learner will not be required to repeat the training in those units where application has been made and credit has been granted.
Recognition of Prior Learning
The competencies in this qualification may be attained through the process of Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). RPL takes into consideration the candidates’ previous training, work and life experience.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) opportunities will be identified and addressed during the pre-training interview process.
Learners will also be provided with an RPL Candidate guide to assist the learner in identifying any Recognition of Prior Learning either through previous training, work, or life experience or to how to prepare a portfolio of evidence.
Your Application Journey
At Avante Education we believe that your course should be tailored for you. Our pre-enrolment process will take you on a personal journey and allows you to be part of the process.
1. Us getting to know you…
- Who you are, your prior work experience (if any)
- Your learning preferences
- Your career aspirations
- How much time you have available to complete your course
- The best learning environment suited for you at your workplace or on campus
- How much support you will need with language, literacy, numeracy skills and computer skills
2. Thanks to your contribution we can now provide you with a tailored course plan which includes…
- Key course information
- Delivery schedule adjustments for any approved course credits that may reduce your length of training
- Delivery and assessment proposed dates
- Delivery and assessment methods
- Minimum technology requirements
- Statement of fees indicating all fees, government subsidies (if eligible), and options of payment
- Terms & Conditions
3. After these formalities you will be prepared for your commencement and…
- Be invited to join an induction to go through some best practice protocols for a successful learning journey
- Be acquantied with your Trainer
- Be provided access to your digital learner portal
4. You are now ready to…
- Join your own personally designed learning program on course commencement date
This course is delivered in the following locations
Fees & Funding
This is our standard fee based on a full program enrolment. Program fees vary based on each individual’s enrolment details. Final course fees are offered after an individual assessment. For more information click here
|Digital Learner Resources1||$80|
|Materials Kit for Trade||$1,3953|
- 1 – Accessing the learner resources can either be digital (online access via a personal computer or mobile device) or hardcopy (printed learner resources). Printed learner resources are an extra $420
- 3 – Must be purchased prior to commencement. The kit includes all tools necessary to complete all practical assessments
We have payment options to suit your needs. Payment options are selected in the Pre-Training Review stage after your initial application
- humm Buy Now, Pay Later
- zip Buy Now, Pay Later
- Credit Card
Once you officially accept your Letter of Offer in your Pre-Training Proposal payment can be made to then be officially enrolled into the program